Ayurvedic therapy for HyperTension, commonly referred to as Blood Pressure (BP)
For the stressed lives of many modern professionals today, Hypertension simply called as BP (Blood Pressure) is not a surprising thing at all. Everybody knows about it and many are affected by it, but at the same time one can’t avoid it unless they follow a disciplined lifestyle which must include a few minutes of exercise or any other physical activity, some form of meditation and other body relaxation techniques such as 'Yoga' and 'Pranayama'.
And the drugs being used for controlling the hypertension are only changing some characteristics of the blood to reduce the burden on the blood pumping heart, but the problem will never be solved permanently, i.e., the permanent cure is not possible.
The above method of just using the drugs will not cause any advantage to the person in terms of health benefits except that it avoids the damage to the other organs, and especially to the heart. Moreover there could be some side effects though such a thing is less probable these days due to the extensive research being carried out on the drugs in medicine.
Ayurveda comes to our rescue in this case by providing a very simple technique, a simple home remedy, which purifies the blood from within with which the LDL cholesterol (low density cholesterol which is detrimental) will be driven out of the blood.
Combined with some Yoga practices the health can be improved to a large extent, again, homely thing to be done and there is no need of going to a gym and have some sessions or physical workouts there spending some money. The Ayurveda remedies combined with Yoga techniques will act as the catalysts to reduce the cholesterol and thereby contributing to the less usage of the drugs to reduce hypertension / BP.
- Take 20 to 30 numbers of dry Chickpeas (Bengal Gram in Indian English, Chana or Choley in Hindi, Senaga in Telugu) and 5 to 10 dry grapes (generally considered and grouped as dry fruits) and wash them with pure water to remove the impurities on the outside.
- Take a glass or a bowl full of pure water such that all these grains and fruits can be soaked in it, with some extra water level above these grains and fruits.
- Keep the bowl or glass aside in a safe place overnight. If possible use a meshed cover so that the soaked items are in contact with fresh air. If there is no problem with the insects in your home, there is no need of any cover too.
- The next morning, after waking up and having brushed your teeth, eat these grains and fruits one after the other, sitting in a comfortable and relaxed posture facing the East Direction, and praying the Almighty, to bless you with good health.
- Also drink 'that' water in which the Chickpeas and Dry Grapes were soaked in the previous night.
- Don’t take any food or any other drink for 1 hour, before and after eating these grains and fruits.
Follow this habit daily and consistently for 2 to 3 months, and by constant monitoring of your BP or Hypertension, you will notice that the pressure levels have come closer to the normal. This practice will also let you to reduce the amount of drugs intake for controlling the BP.
For the simple physical exercise refer to the post Yoga practice of Sevaasanam.
The chickpea (Cicer arietinum) (also called as garbanzo bean, Indian pea, ceci, bengal gram, Kabuli chana, sanagalu) is an edible legume of the family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae. Chickpeas are high in protein and one of the earliest cultivated vegetables.
Inspired by the Daily Ayurvedic discourses in Telugu language in ZEE Telugu Channel by Pandit Sri. Elchuri.